Saturday, September 18, 2010

Starting is an Option; Finishing is Mandatory

That's what one of the runners shouted to us as we were all battling our way through the Warrior Dash. I love it.  It is SO true. 

So if any of you have talked to me in the past few weeks you know I've been slightly stressed and in BIG TIME denial about the Warrior Dash.  Will I do it, can I do it, what on earth was I thinking, who do I think I am...guilt, insecurity, exhaustion, the works.  

Well...I did it!  Jessica and I met at nine this morning for our three hour drive to Windham, NY.  We drove and drove and drove and drove and then met up with Diana in Catskill.  We all piled in one car and The Warrior Dashkateers were on our way!  

We arrived around noon and our wave wasn't until 2:30 so we had plenty of time to collect our packets, wander around and check out the scene.  And quite a scene it was!!!  
starting line!
the Dashkateers pre race
the finish line (right before the mud pit)
The race started at the bottom of the ski mountain and then wound it's way up the slope for over 1.5 miles.  Brutal.  Let me say that again slower.  Brrrruuuuuttttaaaaallllllllllllllll.  There are 13 obstacles in this race...but really the 14th and hardest obstacle was the MOUNTAIN. 

1.  Knee High Hell = stepping through tires
2.  Warrior Wall = two 4 foot wooden walls to climb over
3.  Tunnels of Terror = crawling through pipes
4.  Steep Slope Ahead! (and quite slippery too, my knees didn't like the downhills)
5.  Black Forest = scrambling through a forest...literally
6.  Slithering Swamp = deep muddy pool (for sure at one point I could not touch bottom)
7.  Walk the Plank = wooden planks over a gully
8.  Rip Van Winkle Way = up an over a wooden bridge
9.  Rio Run = MUD MUD MUD and more scrambling through forests
10.  Cargo Climb = climbing up cargo nets then down more cargo nets
11.  Catskill Skid = SLIP N SLIDE!! 
12.  Warrior Roast = jumping over fire...twice
13.  Muddy Mahem = crawling through a mud pit under barbed wire

and we did them all.  I nearly lost a contact on the slip n slide, but by luck it managed to drop right on my (not so clean) shirt and I popped that sucker back in and hit the trail again...had to jump some fire!!  All in all a super hard, super fun, super badass 3.23 miles!  We are already talking next year (perhaps somewhere FLAT!)  Who wants to join us!?!?!?!?!?!

following Jess into the swamp!
the girls post race
I AM THE WARRIOR!
we were able to donate our old shoes after the race...super cool!!
we clean up goooooooooood!
PS - STAY TUNED FOR PART 2...when the professional pics come out!!! (hopefully there's one or 20 of the Dashkateers!)

1 comment:

  1. Great. Followed a link from Diana's Daily Dish. Same thanks goes to you, I was wondering what was going on up there, out of view. I was just spectating, but we could hear you guys scream up the mountain :)
    Got lots of photos on Flickr or in my post, enjoy.

    ReplyDelete